|Put cuts on eggplants and place in water.|
|Roast green chillies, peanuts, poppy seeds, white cumin, white sesame and whole coriander on griddle.|
|Once roasted, add crushed coconut and roast.|
|Grind all roasted items finely.|
|Heat oil and fry eggplants.|
|Once eggplants are cool, add ground spices into eggplants.|
|Heat oil in pan and add fenugreek seeds, whole red chillies, curry leaves and white cumin.|
|Once it leaves aroma, add ground onion.|
|When onion turns light brown, add ginger garlic paste and roast.|
|Add red chillies, turmeric and salt. Mix well.|
|Now add ground spice which remained after adding into eggplants. Roast for 2 to 3 minutes.|
|Add stuffed eggplants, hold pan with a cloth and stir.|
|Add water and stir while holding with cloth.|
|Once eggplants are tender, add tamarind juice, green chillies and curry leaves and cook at low flame.|
|When eggplants are soft, gravy becomes thick, and oil layer comes on top, sprinkle green coriander and remove pot from stove.|
Tasty Bagara Baingan is Ready. Dish out and serve.
Baghare Baingan Recipe (Translated in English)
Ingredients for Stuffing:
- Small Round Eggplants: 1/2 kg
- Green Chillies: 4 pcs
- Peanuts: 10 pcs
- Coconut: 1 piece (crushed)
- Poppy Seeds: 1 tbsp
- White Cumin: 1 tbsp
- White Sesame Seeds: 2 tbsp
- Whole Coriander: 2 tbsp
- Raw Ground Onions: 4 pcs
- Tamarind Juice: 1 cup
- Whole Green Chillies: 4 pcs (slit from middle)
- Curry Leaves: few
- Turmeric: 1 tsp
- Ground Red Chillies: 1 tbsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 tbsp
- Salt: as per taste
- Green Coriander: 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Water: 1 glass (or as required)
- Fenugreek Seeds: 6 to 7
- Whole Red Chillies: 6 to 8
- Curry Leaves: few
- Mustard Oil: 1-1/2 cup (small)
- White Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
| Make cuts on eggplants and soak in water otherwise they will become blackish.|
- Bask green chillies, peanuts, coconuts, poppy seeds, white cumin, white sesame and whole coriander on griddle.
- Add crushed coconut lastly and roast. (Do not roast coconut with other ingredients otherwise it will burn).
- Once coconut leaves aroma, remove all items from the griddle and grind finely.
- Now heat oil and fry all eggplants. After frying, cool them and fill ground spices into eggplants tightly through the slits you made.
- Prepare all eggplants similarly and place aside.
- Keep ground spices aside as well.
Preparing Baingan Curry and Baghar:
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add fenugreek seeds. Once it starts crackling, add whole red chillies, curry leaves and white cumin.
- When curry leaves release aroma, add ground onion and cook.
- Once onions become light pink in color, add ginger garlic paste and roast.
- Now add ground red chillies, turmeric and salt and mix well.
- Also add eggplant stuffing spices (remaining) and roast well together.
- Roast for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add stuffed eggplants, hold pan with cloth and stir the pan anti-clockwise.
- Add one glass water, stir again while holding with cloth.
- Cover pan and cook.
- Once eggplants are soft, add tamarind juice, green chillies and curry leaves and mix well.
- Steam-cook (dam) for 10 minutes at low heat.
- When eggplants are soft and fully tenderized, and gravy becomes thick, oil layer comes up, add green coriander and remove pan from stove.
- Tasty Bagara baingan is ready.
Enjoy with hot naan or chapati.
Bagara Baingan is a scrumptious food from Hyderabadi cuisine. It has a thick paste-like gravy which is prepared with different spices. Some of the unique spices used to stuff the eggplant are green chillies, peanuts, coconuts, poppy seeds, white cumin, white sesame and coriander seeds. Other ingredients used in bagara baingan recipe are tamarind juice, whole green chillies, curry leaves, turmeric powder, raw crushed onion, red pepper, ginger garlic paste and salt.
There are many ways you can enjoy Hyderabadi bagara baingan. Serve it with biryani, bagara rice or with chapati, naan or even pulao. Living in Karachi, I have realized that it is a dish very few people can cook. In whole 30 years of my life, I never found it to eat anywhere except once when a friend's mom cooked it and luckily I ate the lunch with him.
This recipe is gem!
It is something tried and tasted some day of leisure.
After enjoying the dish, please share your reviews on
Hyderabadi Bagara or Bagara Baingan Recipe
in the comments box below:
Greetings, today we are going to work on bagara baingan recipe, the famous Hyderabadi dish. Those who love eggplant would definitely be delighted to have this recipe. Baghare Baingan is a popular Hyderabadi dish, eaten zealously across Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. It has a thick gravy with a pleasing eggplant aroma. I am offering the recipe in both Urdu and English.
A pretty tasty baghar is added to eggplants which is the soul of it's taste. Baghar ingredients include fenugreek seeds, whole red chilies, curry leaves, mustard oil and white cumin. There is another set of ingredients to stuff eggplant which includes peanuts, crushed coconuts, green chillies and more.
Find more baingan recipes here.
Explore how to make baghare baingan recipe in Urdu (step by step).
Read Blog about
Hyderabadi Bagara or Baghare Baingan Recipe
and health & fitness, step by step recipes, Beauty & skin care and other related topics with sample homemade solution. Here is variety of health benefits, home-based natural remedies. Find (Hyderabadi Bagara or Baghare Baingan Recipe) and how to utilize other natural ingredients to cure diseases, easy recipes, and other information related to food from KFoods.