1. Heat water in a pan and add yellow food coloring.
2. When water is boiled, add rice.
3. If rice are cooked, take them out in a strainer.
4. Pour cold tap water on boiled rice.
5. Heat oil and in a pot and add cloves, cinnamon and green cardamoms.
6. When cloves start crackling, add boiled rice and lower the flame.
7. Add sugar with rice and mix.
8. After mixing sugar with rice, if sugar starts leaving water, turn the flame high to dry the sugar water.
9. When water is dried out, mix the rice and place on low flame for dam.
10. Zarda is ready. Serve with gulab jamun, khoya and other sweets.
Method of Making Zarda (Sweet Rice)
- Rice (Saila) : 1/2 kg
- Sugar : 1/2 kg
- Ghee : 1 cup
- Cloves : 2 to 3
- Green cardamoms: 3 to 4
- Cinnamon : 1 small piece
- Yellow food coloring : 1/2 tablespoon
- Ashrafi : 125 grams (red and green) or whichever easily available
- Almonds : as per taste
- Pistachio : as per taste
- Coconuts : as per taste (thin chopped)
- Khoya : 1/4 kg
- Gulab jamun : 125 grams or as per desired
- Cham cham : 125 grams or as per desired
NOTE: Better take small gulab jamun and cham cham. If they are large, break into small pieces. If you couldn't get khoya, use white kalakand.|
First, boil water in a bot and during boiling, add yellow food coloring with water.
When water is boiled, add rice and cook them completely. Then take rice out in a strainer and put cold tap water on the boiled rice. By pouring cold water on rice, they do not stick after cooking.
Method of Cooking Zarda:
- First, heat oil in a pan for 3 to 4 minutes.
- When ghee is heated, add green cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon.
- When cloves start crackling, add boiled rice and also sugar to the rice and mix.
- When sugar is dissolved, turn the flame high so that sugar water is dried.
- Do not move ladle repeatedly; it will break the rice.
- When rice water is dried, place for dam.
- When rice is cooked completely, add asharfi, almonds, pistachios, chopped coconuts, khoya, gulab jamun and cham cham to the rice.
- Very tasty zarda sweet rice are ready. Eat yourself and also serve others.
Use saila rice for zarda.
Soak saila rice for 3 to 4 hours beforehand.
Cook rice in wide mouthed cooking pot so they do not break.