1 cup flour
1/3 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
1/4 cup Water
3 1/2 pounds Granny Smith, Cortland, Jonagold Apple
s, peeled, cored, slIce
1 Tablespoon Lemon
1/3 cup Sugar
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
3/4 cup brown Sugar
, firmly packed
1 cup flour
1/3 cup Butter
, chilled, cut in pieces
How to make Apple Crumb Pie
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. To make crust: mix together flour and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to cut the shortening into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs are formed.
4. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork, until a dough forms.
5. Shape into a flat circle then wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
6. On a floured surface, roll dough with a floured rolling pin into a 12″ circle. Fit into a 9″ pie pan. Trim excess dough, leaving a 1 inch overhang; pinch edges to flute.
7. To prepare filling: in a large bowl, toss together lemon juice, apples, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Spoon mixture evenly into crust.
8. To prepare topping: mix together brown sugar, nutmeg and flour in a small bowl.
9. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to cut the butter into the brown sugar mixture until coarse crumbs form.
10. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the filling to cover completely.
11. Place foil around crust to prevent burning. Bake, rotating halfway through for 40 minutes, remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.
Posted By: rahma, Faislabad